Sunday, March 11, 2012

And exhale...

OK, so it's been forever since I checked in. This is predominantly because of a reoccurring theme in my life at the moment, where I never stop working. Hooray for the Labour Day holiday today!!! It's given me a chance to catch my breath.

Things got pretty bad a couple of weeks ago, to the point where I was physically ill from the stress of it all plus had an anxiety attack in the middle of run group. Turns out when you add adrenaline to your system by "sprinting" (relative term), on top of the adrenaline you've already got running around in your system from stress, it gets a bit too much. It really took me by surprise and is not an experience I'd like have again.

But that's the past and I'm not going to dwell.

The running is going great. I haven't done as much as I would like but I'm getting my long runs in and maintaining a reasonable pace. I ran into a friend (we were headed opposite directions) during my long run yesterday - it took both of us a couple of strides to click that we knew each other. He turned around and ran three kms with me until I had to turn around and head back. I'd forgotten how great it is to run with someone - those kms together were the easiest of my 11km total. Thankfully though, my pace didn't change after we went our separate ways.

Next weekend I've got the River Run which I plan to use as my long run. I'm doing the 10km and then I'll add two or three on top of that. I did this run last year, although it was only 8km then. It's not my favourite time, with a 5:50pm start but I need to challenge myself to run outside my comfort zone.

To celebrate today's holiday, I'm thinking of trying a new route for this afternoon's run and heading north/north-west on the Capital City Trail. Fingers crossed I don't get lost!!

No comments:

Post a Comment