Sunday, January 6, 2013

What I learned by streaking

I made the decision to participate in the Runner's World Run Streak last year. It was not my most successful endeavour.

But I learned a few things (or at least had some things I already know reinforced) from what I did do.

1. Routine is my friend
While I had my routine I was feeling good and in control.
While I had my routine I knew what I was doing and where I was going and what I was going to eat and when I was going to run.
While I had my routine running was easy.

Once I lost my routine - thank you parties and injuries - everything became so much more difficult.

Action plan:
Use my calendar to plan when I can run
Spend time each week to plan my meals
Have fun but do my work first

2. Big plans excite me but also overwhelm me
I love having a plan. A plan motivates me to get out and give things a go.
Self-doubt leaves me questioning whether I can achieve what I have planned.

Action plan:
Keep dreaming big
Break the big dreams down into smaller parts
Believe in myself

3. I am capable of more than I sometimes give myself credit for
See point three above.

Action plan:
Look back on what I have done and learn from the past - I have always achieved what I was aiming for when I truly believed in what I was seeking
Believe in myself

No comments:

Post a Comment