Monday, September 23, 2013

Chicago Marathon Training Week #15

aka The week that didn't go so well

As I write this - under three weeks to go!!


Travelling wrote off the morning. I had intentions of getting in a run in the afternoon but my leg hurt, I was tired and basically I threw a tantrum. To compensate for my lack of activity I made sure to have ice cream after dinner.


This week is shaping up to be a winner. Nothing today either - early start, sore leg, inner-three-year-old saying "I don't wanna! I don't wanna". More ice cream (hey, three-year-olds like ice cream).


AM: 4 miles (6.4km) - 41:52

Took this run carefully, straying no further than one mile from the hotel. I didn't really relish the thought of having to walk miles back in the dark if my leg didn't want to play. Luckily it worked out OK.

Nothing exciting to report. I did encounter one spider's web and I'm sure I looked like a complete freak to people driving past while I was waving my arms about trying to get it off me.


Another early start and then travel back to Chicago that night left the day run-less.


AM: Strength session - 30:00
AM: 5 miles (8km) - 51:17

Got in a strength session followed by a run before work. Felt so good to be back in my regular routine (although, I'm travelling so much it really should just be part of my routine). The leg wasn't completely off but it wasn't right either. If I make sure to roll heaps, it definitely helps.


Quiet day. Following my training plan I rested in preparation for the Ready to Run 20 Miler on Sunday.


AM: CARA Ready to Run 20 miler (32km) - 3:40:45

My second 20 mile run in this training cycle (also my second 20 mile run ever) and my last "long" long run before the marathon. Hello taper!

I actually really enjoyed this run. I started off with my training group, then got separated somewhere along the way (because I can't keep a pace and shot off on my own). Then found them again after I took a restroom break (need to avoid doing that during the marathon). Finished out the run with one of the girls from my group, feeling strong and practicing a fast finish (actually sprinted to the finish line because I'm stupidly competitive (when I think that I'm ballpark same level) and just had to win).

Other than a couple of minutes after the run where I felt like I might pass out/throw up/die (I just needed to eat something), I pulled up pretty well.

One of the highlights of the day was the transportation back to downtown/start line. School buses! For this Australian girl, riding in a yellow school bus was embarrassingly exciting.

After I got home, had a shower and ate some lunch (hot soup and a grilled cheese sandwich never tasted so good!!) I took myself off for a massage. This confirmed exactly how tight my hips and left leg are (were? hopefully the massage reduced some of that). Unfortunately, by Sunday night it became apparent that I've inflamed my foot again. Luckily I have a good supply of ice packs in the freezer now, in anticipation of such events.

This Week's (less that ideal) Stats

  • Total miles: 29 (46.4 km)
  • Total running time: 5 hours 13 minutes 54 seconds
  • Total running workouts: 3
  • Total cross training workouts: 0
  • Total strength workouts: 1


  1. I'm with you, ice cream solves all rough days!!! better than training.
    Glad you survived the 20miler and I hope the inflammation settles and your taper goes smooth! I still look for you and your pink running light in the mornings!